When it comes to boosting traffic to your business’s website, you have two options: pay-per-click (PPC) and search engine optimization (SEO).
You can pay (and quickly get traffic to your website) for traffic using the PPC marketing programs offered by Google, Bing, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and numerous other social media platforms. PPC enables you to display ads in the sponsored results section of each search engine’s results page or the feed of a social media platform. How does it work? You pay a fee based on how competitive your chosen keyword is and how many clicks your ad receives. For example, Google doesn’t charge you when the ad is displayed (aka impression), but charges you a certain fee once the ad is clicked on.
Alternatively, you can build traffic for free by increasing your rankings in the organic search results. These are the listings displayed below the paid/sponsored results. It takes time to reach the top of the organic results for the keyword(s) related to your business offerings, but the free targeted traffic will prove to be well worth the investment down the road. One thing to keep in mind is that PPC will bring immediate traffic to your website, while SEO may take six to 12 months to develop based on the keyword.
Which would be better for my business?
It depends on factors like budget, goals, and target markets. If you want more traffic fast and are willing to pay for it, then PPC would be a better option. Even if you have a small budget (say $100 per month), Phuel Strategies can develop a plan based on that amount to get you the most traffic to the site.
One think to keep in mind though is that while PPC and SEO will drive traffic to your website, you also need to look at the design of your website. If your website looks like it was built from the early 2000s or even just poorly laid out, people will notice and your marketing efforts through PPC and SEO may be worthless. If this is the case, we have low cost options (such as building out a landing page) to help improve the efforts of your PPC and SEO.
Whether you choose to invest in PPC or SEO, your website has to do an efficient job of selling your services and why customers should work with you!
When Should I Invest in PPC?
Let’s get to it: when should you focus on PPC instead of SEO? Your company should invest in PPC if:
- Quickly increase traffic coming into your site – this is great for daily/weekly sales and holiday sales.
- You’re looking to target a specific type of traffic or location.
- You’re willing to spend money on advertising within Google & potentially other search and social platforms.
- Your website ISN’T optimized for SEO – this is ok! This is where a landing page helps out greatly!
And When Should I Invest In SEO?
SEO is NOT free: whether it’s your own time or hiring an outside firm, SEO does come with a cost. Invest in SEO if:
- Want to invest in growing traffic for the long term. It may take 3, 6, 9, or even 12 months for you to rank for specific keywords, so SEO is focused on long term.
- Have quality pages on your site that advertise all your different products and/or services.
- Dominate search results for your keyword category.
- Increase your website’s value.